UgHerald provides the most timely and comprehensive news coverage of Uganda. It covers a wide range of fields including politics, economy, society, culture, sports, as well as in-depth analysis of international relations and important domestic events. Whether you are concerned about local developments or international influences, this is the best source for the latest information on Uganda. We are committed to helping readers understand the current situation and future of Uganda through accurate, objective and in-depth news reports, while paying attention to the challenges and development opportunities it faces.

About Us

tanzania times : Latest News and In-depth Analysis
Contact Us
Wildlife

At least 38 people dead after 7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

Aug 17, 2026
IDOPRESS

Search and rescue teams have continued combing through rubble to free people trapped in buildings after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit Indonesia.

The official death toll has risen to 38 fatalties,with several more injured as the rescue effort continues on the island of Flores.

Several aftershocks followed the earthquake on early Saturday morning,with the government issuing a tsunami warning too.

Streams of people could be seen rushing inland after the warning,with concrete reportedly falling off a terminal building at the port in Maumere.

Some passengers waiting to board the inter-island ferry were thrown into the sea as the gangway collapsed.

The tsunami warning was lifted around 8am local time,three hours after the main quake struck the island of Flores.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.Five have died in a 7.7 magnitude earthquake (Picture: Handout / INDONESIA’S NATIONAL SEARCH AND RESCUE AGENCY (BASARNAS) / AFP via Getty Images)Flores Island was hit with several strong aftershocks (Picture: ARNOLD WELIANTO / AFP via Getty Images)The Indonesian agency for Meteorology,Climatology and Geophysics said in a statement the quake had a depth of 15km.‘Residents should also avoid entering buildings,especially those that have already sustained cracks or structural damage,’ the BNPB – Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency – said.‘A rapid assessment is currently underway to determine the number of casualties and the extent of the impact. We will provide that information after the data has been verified.’Locals were mainly asleep when the earthquake began,waking up to ‘very strong shaking’ as the disaster unfolded.Arnold Welianto,who lives in Talibura village,Sikka,East Nusa Tenggara,told the BBC: ‘I was startled awake and immediately went to my child’s room.The government had warned about a potential tsunami (Picture: Yasin Demirci/Anadolu via Getty Images)Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency are still working through the rubble (Picture: Handout / INDONESIA’S NATIONAL SEARCH AND RESCUE AGENCY (BASARNAS) / AFP via Getty Images)


The Laurensius Say Port in Maumere crumbled (Picture: ARNOLD WELIANTO / AFP via Getty Images)‘Once we were outside,residents in our neighbourhood,which is located close to the shoreline,had already fled their homes and were heading toward the hills and crowding the roads,while some other residents were standing along the roadside because the sea had also receded.’He said the water levels caused people to ‘panic and run’ as it remained low for ‘quite some time’.Around 2,000 residents are said to have been evacuated in Nagekeo,with damage to several buildings.Strong aftershocks were felt around the area,with a max magnitude of 6.1,as most residents stayed outside for fear that the buildings could still collapse.Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at .For more stories like this,check our news page.